Time to say goodbye to the old Upton Heath C of E Primary School
We were pleased to host a community event at Upton Heath Church of England Primary School recently to say goodbye to our old school building in readiness for our brand new school, completed in November 2019. The community event in October 2019 was organised alongside Upton Local History Group.
Upton Heath C of E Primary School was known as Upton Manor County Primary School when it opened on Upton Lane in August 1951, becoming Upton Heath C of E Primary School in September 1998. The 1950s sections of Upton Heath C of E were replaced by the new school building, on the current Upton Lane site. Only the newer section of Upton Heath (home to reception, year one and Upton Village Pre School) remain, with a link joining the two sections of the school.
The community event gave past pupils from the school and the local community a chance to revisit over 70 years’ worth of childhood memories stored up in the old school building. Visitors at the event were able to share their old photos of the school, and also on social media using the hashtag #memoriesofUHPS.
Attendees were also able to view important memorabilia from Upton Manor County Primary School, taken from the archives of the Upton Local History Group. Much of the memorabilia was collected by former deputy headteacher of the school, Joyce Cook, who sadly passed away in spring 2019. Chairman of the Upton Local History Group Phil Pearn said:
“Upton Manor was a post war building. The windows, for example, were made from aluminium left over from the war. Joyce Cook was instrumental in creating and preserving the wonderful collection of memorabilia from this important time in Upton’s history.”
Upton Heath’s new school building is part of the Department for Education’s Priority School Building Programme, and has been designed to the blueprint of a modern school building.
Photo credit: Upton Local History Group